I really like this scripture in Alma 50:
After the Lamanites tried taking a couple of cities, but the Nephites were protected, Mormon writes:
18) And they did prosper exceedingly, and they became exceedingly rich; yeah and they did multiply and wax strong in the land.
19) And thus we see how merciful and just are all the dealings of the Lord, to the fulfilling of all his words unto the children of men; yea we can behold that his words are verified, even at this time, which he spake unto Lehi, saying:
20) Blessed art thou and thy children; and they shall be blessed, inasmuch as they shall keep my commandments they shall prosper in the land. But remember, inasmuch as they will not keep my commandments they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord.
21) And we see that these promises have been verified to the people of Nephi.
22) And those who were faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord were delivered at all time.
23) But behold there never was a happier time among the people of Nephi.
This time around I'm finding this over and over: that God keeps his promises that if you keep the commandments he'll bless you and deliver you from your problems (whatever they might be). It really must be true then. I love it how it said that this proves how merciful and just the Lord is. He doesn't give us these blessing just because he loves us, but there really are blessings attached to obedience. If you keep a commandment, as a consequence, a blessing will come with it. I also liked how it says that the people were never happier. That is definitely how it is in my life. I am happiest when I'm keeping the commandments. It's just a tragedy that we all fall into the same routine of forgetting those things.
200 Del Tacos night